Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Cake Slice November's Cake: Applesauce Spice Cake


 Have you heard of The Cake Slice? I've been keeping my eye on them for some time. I have always loved the idea of joining in on a group that all bakes from the same cookbook and the recipe once a month. I then love chatting with them about it and then getting all excited about the next item we are going to bake. Well..I can officially say that I am now a member of the group! As soon as I noticed they were taking new members I leaped at the chance. 

My oldest son laughed at me when  I said I joined an online baking group. So..yeah, I can sorta see what he means..but he stopped laughing and got excited when he realized he would be eating some sort of cake once a month..for a whole year. He got behind the idea real quick after that. For me it makes perfect sense to join an online group..living in The Netherlands and not being surrounded by any sort of bakers makes me lonely for like minded people. I am now surrounded by like minded people :)

Anyway..lets get started. We are baking from a book called,Great Cakes by Carole Walter. The book doesn't have very many photographs..which totally shouldn't stop you from buying it. Some of my favorite cookbooks have little to none when it comes to photographs. I will be posting each recipe on the 20th of each month and our first cake is the applesauce spice cake. It's kind of left up to us in regards to posting the recipe. Some will,some won't. Although I enjoyed the cake I won't be posting the recipe. The simple reason is..we loved the brown sugar glaze the best!
       
 

             If you have a favorite spice cake recipe that has a mixture of apples,nuts,cinnamon,and nutmeg..I would say please use this glaze to go along with it. We loved it. Like alot. I have serious visions of me making just the glaze and then taking the whole bowl into the pantry to eat alone with a spoon. I'm not saying I will. But I totally could. If you really want the recipe of the cake, click on one of the member links below and I'm sure you will find several who have included it.

Brown Sugar Glaze

3 TBS Butter
3 TBS Light Brown Sugar
3 TBS Heavy Cream
3/4 cup Sifted Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla

In a small saucepan,melt the butter with the brown sugar over low heat. Then,stir in the heavy cream and cook slowly until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.

Take the pan off the heat and gradually add the powdered sugar in three additions,whisking until smooth. Add in the vanilla and whisk to combine. If the icing is to thick,add a few extra drops of the cream. You want is pourable but not runny. It sets quick so get it on the cake as quickly as possible.

Yield: 1/2 cup,enough to glaze a 9-inch bundt cake
Source: Great Cakes












19 comments:

Paloma said...

oh of course! I had seen it! ah! It's soooo beautiful! Great job!

bakinginpyjamas.com said...

Your cake looks lovely. Glad to have you as part of the group.

bakinginpyjamas.com said...

Your cake looks lovely, welcome to the group.

Sonya said...

Thank you :)

The Ninja Baker said...

Your cake looks gorgeous, Sonya. I'm sure your son is quite supportive after a taste of the delectable slice of cake!

How wonderful that you live in the Netherlands...One of my dreams is to bicycle through the tulips =)

ImWhisper said...

Your cake looks wonderful!
My sons also gave me the thumbs up for a cake each month ha!
Glad to have you in the group.

:)
Holly

Emily said...

Hi Sonya, Great baking along with you! I was also stumped when I went through the book and found ...wot... where are the pictures?!!

But hey! we all did good with this cake!

Sonya said...

I've biked through along the side the tulips..and it's wonderful :)

Thank,Holly!

Emily..I am a visual baker and if a cake has complicated instructions,I always prefer a picture to help me along with what the final product should look like. Hopefully we don't stumble across anything to challenging or mine is going to come out wonky looking for sure!

Maranda Medina said...

Welcome to the group! I'm glad your son quickly realized the benefit of you joining this group! One quick note, you said the book doesn't have many recipes...did you mean it doesn't have many pictures of the recipes? I wouldn't want anyone to be confused. Your cake looks amazing and I've definitely heard nothing but wonderful things about the glaze!

Sonya said...

Whoops..fixed it,thanks! sometimes the brain and and fingers don't match up when typing..lol

OvenDelights said...

Welcome Sonya!
Love to see our group grow!
I agree, I could eat a bowl of this glaze! I regretted not buying extra apples, this glaze would have been perfect as a dip!

Sonya said...

You are so right..a dip for apples!!! I think I see some apples and dip in my future!

Diana Gale said...

Hey Sonya, like you I was initially dismayed to see so few pictures in the book, but I guess it is good in a way because we get more creative this way!

Sonya said...

I know..Im a total picture kinda gal..the recipes all look pretty straight forward though so thats a plus :)

Felice Geoghegan said...

Welcome to the group Sonya. I'm looking forward to baking along with you as we work our way through our new book. You cake looks great, and I love how you captured it just as the glaze was slowly dropping down the side. This is definitely one cake I'll be making again.

Cupcakery said...

Welcome to our group Sonya! So happy to be baking alongside you :) Here's to many more "great cakes"!! Hazel x

Anne@FromMySweetHeart said...

Welcome to the group, Sonya! Your cake looks beautiful! I hope your son really enjoyed it, too! : )

Grace Phua said...

Sonya, welcome to the 'like-minded' group ;) I'm sure your son will regret he ever said that because more cakes are coming his way ;P

Sonya said...

Thank you! He's already excited about the next cake :)