Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

        

Living abroad can be tricky around the holiday season..especially if the country you live in doesn't celebrate the same things as you do. Like, the 4th of July,Halloween, and Thanksgiving. It becomes even more strange when they do celebrate the same holiday as you..but in a different way. You start sinking into a big depression sometimes that can take years to climb out of. It took me awhile to source out what I needed and what I couldn't find I needed another version of. It's taken me a few years but we celebrate Thanksgiving just like home now!

The only difference for us now, is when we eat our meal. We decided to always have it on the weekend since no one has the thursday off and it was more relaxed that way. So we decided on Saturday to have it since next weekend is my birthday ( I'm looking at 39 this year and not sure if I will embrace 40 by 2014!). 

We had the best time. It was our first Thanksgiving in our own home and that alone was something to be really thankful for. I had many many blessings to count this year and it really made me aware of how long I had been waiting for this moment. I was living in my own home. My very own home. We had a fire going in our wood stove and as I glanced out the living room window I could see the Hens running around. Everything at that very moment all came together for me. I am living the dream I never thought would come true.

 Now some people will see my place and laugh at me. Sure it's in a neighborhood and of course the yard isn't huge and yes I talk like I live on a 5 acre plot when in reality it's a very small but long yard..But it doesn't matter because it's mine and I love it. To me I do live on that plot of land that will allow me to grow what I want and raise chickens. I've already got the chickens and this summer, I'll have the homegrown veggies! I am thankful for every blessing I have right now. I'm even thankful for the painful lessons I have learned along the way. They make me love this house and all the hard work that went into it that much more.

I'm thankful for every one of you that takes the time out of your day to stop by and say,Hi. I love the e-mails you send to me and all of the wonderful comments you leave me. So thank you.

You know what I'm also thankful for? buttered covered turkey. Seriously this was my best turkey to date. It was crazy moist, not one least bit dry, and it's a method I will use both on turkey as well as chicken! I simply took softened butter and mixed it with various seasonings. I smeared a small amount underneath the skin and the rest I covered the entire turkey with. After one hour is was a beautiful golden brown so I tented it. I never basted it once. The turkey under the skin was covered in seasonings and tasted incredible. Butter really does make everything better!

Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving this thursday!!! 











4 comments:

lytha said...

ok you inspired me so right now i'm doing a beta run on a "thanksgiving" for my man and me. yah, i know it's december 6th: ) i had this idea today that i could just cook a couple of turkey thighs instead of a whole turkey, cuz it's just two of us, and i am scared to try to defrost/roast a big huge thing that probably won't fit in my tiny oven. so i took your advice and i put butter between the skin and the meat.

in this house we always say "mit liebe gemacht" - made with love, when i make something nice for my man. recently i started realizing, as the butter dripped down his fingers as he tried to eat a grilled cheese sandwich, that the main ingredient of my love is butter. the more butter, the more love. sorry to get it all over you, oops.

so tonight will be just turkey and instant mash potatoes with gravy, a beta run. if it works, or even if it doesn't, next time i'll try ot make "homemade stove top stuffing" which i found a recipe for online. stuffing looks not too complicated, so i should be able to manage to make a simulation of stovetop, my favorite.

my perfect plan will be to incorporate that green bean casserole that you blogged about, the one with no cream of mushroom soup. with crispy fried onion and butter-fried corn flakes on top!

i'll let you know how it goes. you know how i feel about missing thanksgiving again, and like you, it doesn't matter here what day we "celebrate."

Sonya said...

I'm so proud and happy for you that I could cry :) You are going to do just fine and you will be so happy you did it..lol

Caroline said...

This post brought a huge smile to my face & I can so relate to the feeling of your home is your castle. I realize that often the way I talk you'd think I was living in an actual castle but it's also just a normal house in a normal neighborhood with a small backyard. It's the home of my dreams though and the warm safe place our family & friends come together. I know you waited a long time for your dream & I am so happy to feel the joy you radiate! You are always a source of inspiration to me. Thanks to you, I cook & bake better! Happy Holidays from my castle to yours!

Sonya said...

Thank you,Caroline..you mean a great deal to me and I'm so glad to know you!