Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Take A Peek Wednesday: Around The House

           
 Winter is on the way. I've been busy with The Ladies and getting their home ready for the colder months that lie ahead.
           

     
      We made sure to pick out a hearty breed that doesn't mind the cold winters here. It doesn't get brutal but it can and will snow and combined with the Noah's Ark worthy amounts of rain..well we didn't want any wimpy hens. These girls are really enjoying the cooler temps and happily run around all day. Still no eggs yet..but you know I'm checkin..a whole lot if I'm honest.
                  


        Speaking of keeping warm..we finally have our wood burning stove all set up! We've been enjoying a warm fire nightly for about 3 weeks now. I have wanted one of these since forever and can't tell you the joy it brings to me when I get to sit down for the evening in front of it. It's perfect for our living room and heats it up to a perfect temp. I actually look forward to when everyone is home on a day when it snows. I see hot chocolate and a christmas movie while enjoying the fire when it does happen!
            


    I have so many crafts pinned that I finally decided to actually do one of them! I went out into my yard and picked out some branches,came inside and hot glued them together to look like a tree! Well..I needed some help from my husband because I am not to be trusted with hot glue unsupervised. I think it came out cute and can't wait to hang it on our tree!
                


          Here is a pic from my living room window that faces the back of the house. You can tell how long our area is. If you look all the way back and to the left, you can just make out the lighter wood that is the chicken run. Every morning I will stand on my toes to see if I can see the white one,Belle ( she is the only one that stands out with her color in the early morning), and when I see her then I know it's time to run out to feed and water them. The window you see on the left is my kitchen window and the door next to that is our backdoor. 

P.S. My neighbor to the right of me is moving. If you are considering a move to The Netherlands and fancy being neighbors with one happy bread baking,hen raising,veggie growing American,send me an e-mail and I will share the link of the realtor :)








4 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

Happy Holidays Sonya, you have very handsome chickens!! I just love Christmas cactus, I haven't thought about those in years, yours are lovely.

Sonya said...

Thanks Coleen! Happy Thanksgiving!

Silke said...

I really like the pictures of your hens. Your ladies are really beautiful :-)

Sonya said...

Thank you!! I just love taking pics of them..they hold real still while they try to figure out the clicking and beeping sound of my camera..plus they get treats afterwords so they know the drill by now..lol