Friday, October 18, 2013

Chocolate Chai Mini-Loaves

         

            Friday! I think it's my most favorite day of the week. Well if I'm honest everyday is a friday for me since I don't work outside of the home, but I love the day because it means my husband and kids are all mine for the next few days. My two sons are off next week for Fall vacation and I love that.

This recipe I am sharing today has been posted before..but the photo was atrocious. So I whipped up these mini cakes yesterday and ran outside when I spotted a wee bit of sunlight. It's been a challenge this week when it comes to natural light so I'm actually basing my baking on what the weather is going to be like. Soon the weather will change and will make going outside even harder..so for now I keep my eyes sharp on the sky and snap away when I can.

These mini-loaves are more cake like than bread like..but a lot of sweet quick breads are like that. The cakes have a wonderful subtle chocolate flavor and the spice mix screams fall. If you are unable to get your hands on chai mix I will include a quick recipe that was included below. I am able to get it here but when I added the mix, it wasn't spicy enough so I went ahead and added the additional recipe they included. That gave it a wonderful spice flavor that I will use in place of the store brand chai mix. The loaves are moist and delicious and would make a wonderful gift this christmas season!

Chocolate Chai Mini-Loaves

1/2 cup Water
2 (1-ounce) squares Bittersweet or Semi sweet baking chocolate
1 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Butter,softened
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 cup Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt
1-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
3 TBS Instant Chai Tea Latte Mix
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt

Glaze

1 cup Powdered Sugar
1 TBS Butter,softened
1 TBS instant Chai Tea Latte Mix
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
4-5 TBS Milk

**Chai mix substitute: Combine 2 tsp. Cinnamon,1 tsp.Ground Ginger and 1/4 tsp. Ground Cloves in a small bowl. Use 2-1/4 tsp. in the batter and 1 tsp. in the glaze**

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celsius. Grease bottoms only of 3 ( 5-3/4 X 3-inch) mini loaf pans;set aside. 

Combine water and baking chocolate in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat,stirring occasionally,until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat;cool to room temperature.

In a medium sized bowl, combine brown sugar,butter,eggs and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add chocolate mixture and sour cream. Continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low,add remaining batter ingredients and mix until batter is smooth.

Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans. Bake 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack completely. 

In a small bow,combine all of the glaze ingredients except for milk. Beat at medium speed,adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency. Glaze cooled loaves.

** You can bake these loaves in any size pan that you want. I baked mine up using a mini loaf pan set that has 6 individual loaf pans that are all in one tray. If you bake this in a 9x5 then increase the time to 45-50 mins.**

Yield: 12-16 servings
Source: Land O Lakes


2 comments:

Diana Gale said...

Hi Sonja I love chocolate and I love chai - this looks really good :)

Sonya said...

It's a match made in heaven :)